Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Mind as Pancake

This essay in this month's Atlantic Monthly was linked to in a comment on thinkbuddha.org, which appears to be written by an ethics prof in the UK. It seemed a bit long for what it said, and I wondered if that was part of the author's point, that expectations for how pithily we can view content have been dramatically changed by the internet. I did enjoy the essay.

I also thought it was a bit presumptious for the author to speculate that this phenomena is happening to our culture as a whole, rather than just people who have their heads up their data ports. A quick and lazy Google search of "percentage of people with internet access" yields the information that 75% of people in the United States have home internet access and 694 million people worldwide use the internet. (Clearly I have my head up my data port. I stuck it up in there getting a Master's degree online, and I've just never bothered to pull it back out. I think about it sometimes, but then I get distra-- oh, look, a bunny!!!

No comments: