Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Detective Stories

The Medical Detectives was as good as I'd hoped. It included a story that was the final assignment in my intro to epidemiology class this summer. I think part of the story from the book was excerpted in the assignment. The assignment was to track down the source of a Hepatitis A outbreak that occurred in Michigan in 1968. It's a classic case.


I've always loved detective stories. Agatha Christie, Dorothy Sayers, Ngaio Marsh, Josephine Tey, Conan Doyle, Rex Stout, Sue Grafton, Tony Hillerman, Umberto Eco, PD James, Elizabeth George... I even read Keene's Nancy Drew books (probably 40 or 50 of them). I used to love to spend all day curled up with a mystery novel, a box of chocolates, and my cat(s). I still would, if I thought I could get away with it. Perhaps if I live to retirement...

Alas, my eye has already been caught by another book: Making up the Mind, mentioned on one of the Buddhist blogs I read. I plan to sneak out to a bookstore after work one day soon. I hope the Kindle takes off, so I can stop stacking books two deep on my bookshelves. I'm afraid the ones in the storage unit all these years are mostly a loss...

No comments: