Sunday, November 9, 2008

No One Sleeps

This post is the apology I owe to the glorious art of opera for my impatience with it yesterday when I was trying to find classical music to listen to online while I worked and came up against station after station after station with "Saturday Afternoon at the Opera" programming. While I can watch broadcasts or recordings of opera, listening to an entire opera is not my idea of a pleasant background distraction. I finally found WCPE, which suited nicely.

So to apologize to Opera, I post for your listening and viewing pleasure Placido Domingo's performance of Nessun Dorma from Turandot (with Spanish subtitles, even). In English, it's:

No one sleeps!
No one sleeps!
Even you, oh princess,
in your cold room,
look at the stars
that tremble with love
and hope!

But my mystery
it is locked in me.
And my name,
no one will know!
No, no!

On your mouth
I will say it,
when the light
will shine!

And my kiss will break the silence,
that makes you mine!

choir:
His name no one will know...
And we shall have, alas, to die, to die...!


Disperse, o night!
Vanish, oh stars!
Vanish, oh stars!

At daybreak, I will win!
I will win!
I will win!


2 comments:

Donnalouise said...

Hey! Thanks for popping by my blog. Ralph Lauren jeans...I'll have to try a pair. I like my curves but hate clothing that makes me look like a boy.

I went to an opera once - in Prague. It was in Italian and I absolutely loved it!

Leamur said...

Prague! How wonderful!

Thanks for stopping by. I think the brand may actually be Polo, but you'll see.